Men's Underwear Choice

Hello, I am just curious to know what type of underwear style (briefs/bikini briefs/tanga briefs, boxer briefs, etc) fellow men & other in their circle wear in various countries. Is the underwear style driven/influenced by culture, country, ethnicity, society etc? Are there any particular underwear styles considered inappropriate or are laughed upon in your region? and what are dynamics between men & women's underwear styles in your countries, like one has to be necessarily shorter than others? do most men in your country feel comfortable in wearing small underwears like briefs / bikini briefs or are shy about it?
I will start first. I am in Canada and almost all men i know wear boxer briefs or boxers or some underwear than run upto knee or long johns even, I have rarely seen people in briefs and bikini briefs never. I wear briefs (from brands like calvin, n2n bodywear, jockey etc) and i do get stares n sometimes awkward look in the changing room in the gym. let's see what you all (& people in your region) wear and think.

Also, in today's world of liberalism and equality, i find it very strange that men wearing smaller underwears/swimwears are often shamed or ridiculed or considered different or are judged while women wearing small or big underwears/swimwear is considered perfectly normal (and thats how it should be, nobody should be judged by the size of their underwear/swimwear).. also, do most men not like wearing smaller underwears or they don't wear it just because of fear of society that what others may think.. whenever i go to beach and i see men in long boardshorts (and underwear beneath) and women in thongs/ bikinis there, this question always comes to my mind n i couldn't find a satisfactory answer yet..on nude beaches/naturist settings, everyone (men & women) is nude and i get it but i can't get the aforementioned situation on normal beaches and even in general life.. some people say men cover themselves more in North American society because of religious background but then the same logic should apply to women's clothing too which it certainly doesn't so i don't understand it.... maybe my inference is totally wrong and there are other factors, so would love to hear from you on these questions.. :)

AdamLBB

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'd say 90% of it is a societal thing. In my experience people only prefer boxer briefs because they're scared to even try wearing briefs cause of what other people will say or think. I think briefs/bikini briefs just make more sense and are way more comfortable, people who wear boxer briefs have likely never actually tried wearing briefs cause if they did they wouldn't think boxer briefs are that comfortable lol, but yeah society and people who care that much about it are lame lol.

I'd say 90% of it is a societal thing. In my experience people only prefer boxer briefs because they're scared to even try wearing briefs cause of what other people will say or think. I think briefs/bikini briefs just make more sense and are way more comfortable, people who wear boxer briefs have likely never actually tried wearing briefs cause if they did they wouldn't think boxer briefs are that comfortable lol, but yeah society and people who care that much about it are lame lol.
thanks for your answer...i am very interested to know what is the fear for people who are scared to try briefs.. i mean what exactly people think that other people would think if they see them wearing briefs/bikini briefs..? is there a stigma attached to men wearing briefs/bikini briefs in your region? just curious to know :)

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
My underwear drawer contains all sorts of styles from briefs, bikini, jock straps, boxers and boxer briefs. Must say I prefer the briefs and boxer briefs. i hardly wear the bikini or low rise underwear as it is not comfortable.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I grew out of briefs, found them restrictive and unpleasant, boxers are better but they tend to bunch up and be unpleasant in different ways. As such I've used basketball shorts as underwear and I find them to be a freeing experience on many fronts; better ventilation, more freedom for my branch and berries, and much more publicly acceptable when headed out of the home for convenience, like checking the mail or taking out the trash.

AdamLBB

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
People would probably think it was "gay" or "girls underwear" or "child underwear", something ridiculous. Personally, if you're wearing the right size and style for you, they're going to be super comfortable, I think for guys they only think of briefs as being like super tight "old man", tighty whities and don't realize how much variety is out there. Luckily I grew up in a more adventurous household with underwear lol, so I started wearing briefs/bikini briefs in my teens after a short period of feeling awkward about it and wanting to wear "what everyone else was", ie, boxers and boxer briefs, but those were never comfortable. Although almost 10 years later I still have some pairs of them I try wearing from time to time but I just can't get back into it, they end up very occasionally being like a bedtime short over whatever underwear I'm already wearing (if there is room and doesn't feel restrictive wearing the boxer briefs over) and for me they're only really comfortable in that sort of setting, but to each their own ig?
thanks for your answer...i am very interested to know what is the fear for people who are scared to try briefs.. i mean what exactly people think that other people would think if they see them wearing briefs/bikini briefs..? is there a stigma attached to men wearing briefs/bikini briefs in your region? just curious to know :)

person777

Expert Member
Media
I’ve worn boxers since middle school. Before that my parents used to buy me briefs and I had never tried anything else. Literally every single other guy I knew wore boxers. I forget how it came up but I told a friend as a secret that I didn’t wear boxers and I was embarrassed about it and he told a bunch of people. On a school trip every other guy slept in their boxers and a guy came up to me and said hey why don’t you sleep in your boxers too… oh wait and started laughing. After that I finally asked to get boxers and it’s all I’ve ever worn since. Everyone I’ve ever known wore boxers. Even when boxer briefs got popular, they didn’t catch on in my area. 90% of guys still wear the better plaid boxers

D

deleted23931611

My go to undies are Aussiebum classic style briefs in a number of colours

Reactions: 23873261

Blueballs1979

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm from Texas. I wear thongs and g-strings 80 percent of the year. If the high is under 50 fahrenheit I wear 3" cotton trunks or boxer briefs for warmth. Thongs and g-strings aren't really accepted as men's underwear for straight men here but I don't care. I don't go out of the way to show them or hide them. if someone sees I just say if you try a good one, you won't go back. We had 37 straight 100plus days here. No more ball soup in my britches hehe. Oh and I'm bi but they don't know that either.

Jon1971

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
After I graduated high school and started buying my own underwear I discovered boxers, and soon after almost all my friends switched from tighty whiteies to boxers.

Reactions: bippy

My underwear drawer contains all sorts of styles from briefs, bikini, jock straps, boxers and boxer briefs. Must say I prefer the briefs and boxer briefs. i hardly wear the bikini or low rise underwear as it is not comfortable.
thanks for your answer, so are briefs pretty common in your area i believe?

i also find briefs to be more comfortable, everything remains supported, and its more stylish
People would probably think it was "gay" or "girls underwear" or "child underwear", something ridiculous. Personally, if you're wearing the right size and style for you, they're going to be super comfortable, I think for guys they only think of briefs as being like super tight "old man", tighty whities and don't realize how much variety is out there. Luckily I grew up in a more adventurous household with underwear lol, so I started wearing briefs/bikini briefs in my teens after a short period of feeling awkward about it and wanting to wear "what everyone else was", ie, boxers and boxer briefs, but those were never comfortable. Although almost 10 years later I still have some pairs of them I try wearing from time to time but I just can't get back into it, they end up very occasionally being like a bedtime short over whatever underwear I'm already wearing (if there is room and doesn't feel restrictive wearing the boxer briefs over) and for me they're only really comfortable in that sort of setting, but to each their own ig?

I’ve worn boxers since middle school. Before that my parents used to buy me briefs and I had never tried anything else. Literally every single other guy I knew wore boxers. I forget how it came up but I told a friend as a secret that I didn’t wear boxers and I was embarrassed about it and he told a bunch of people. On a school trip every other guy slept in their boxers and a guy came up to me and said hey why don’t you sleep in your boxers too… oh wait and started laughing. After that I finally asked to get boxers and it’s all I’ve ever worn since. Everyone I’ve ever known wore boxers. Even when boxer briefs got popular, they didn’t catch on in my area. 90% of guys still wear the better plaid boxers
interesting, just curious what does women wear on beaches in your area generally... just trying to understand maybe its a more conservative area..?

person777

Expert Member
Media
interesting, just curious what does women wear on beaches in your area generally... just trying to understand maybe its a more conservative area..?
Usually a 2 piece bathing suit or a bikini. For some reason boxers are just very popular for men here. I’m pretty young and pretty much no one I know wears anything except boxers