Attitude towards men's briefs & other smaller underwear

Arthur244

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
sorry for being too honest but I have a question specifically for the white guys here. Being a guy who has travelled to quite a few countries in different continents, as a guy who briefs/bikini briefs sometimes, I have gotten many weird looks and received even many bad comments for wearing briefs but only from white guys (not from any others so far and i am friends with many ethnicity people). Some even argued with me that I must be gay to wear it so they got rude to me..others said as a man, i shouldn't wear briefs (no further discussion), some just gave me looks like i must have done something very wrong, some just stopped talking.. haha.. i can understand when someone is wearing something different, people make fun of, but here i am talking about serious arguments that i received and even people stopped talking to me.. and i am talking about locker room scenarios (not that i go out in public showing my briefs just to be clear). so, i am very interested in understanding from white guys here why briefs or other smaller underwears have gotten so much bad reputation. while i see women wearing bikinis/g strings very openly and not getting weird comments from them.. so, please help me understand the reasons behind it..

BulgeGuySD

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hoooo ! this one of the topics there are very hard to understand and, more difficult to debate.
First so you’ll understand my point of view, I’m an American borne in the USA, with an a Italian Mother and, a Mexican Father, I’ve travel almost all over the planet, I define my self as a European I grew up in Italy, the only issues I have is with white Americans. every beach whether it is in Spain , France, Italy or Greece, white Americans crunch wen they see us wearing swim briefs (speedos) .. I think is just an unsecured people .. as I know those the wear briefs and, bikini underwear.. must man are afraid to even say the word bikini .. people man wear bikinis too so just F&@“g chill you aren’t ! if you don’t like it, don’t wear them, or don’t look at them shit !!!

nhguy78

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Asexual
Briefs are a personal personality decision. I see guys modelling their underwear choices all the time. They don't show them off in mixed company, though.

I think, IMO, it comes down to the reasons for some guys doing the "towel dance." It's similar to why you don't see mixed orientation guys nude together. There is so much shame - much like we see on this website. No one wants to feel less than. Or they are propagating the misogynistic perspectives they place on women - which is - Women wear bikinis to attract men and very sexual to them so if a man wears a bikini they are likely gay and trying to pick up other men. Also, to them, nudity is sexual so any exposure of dick, ass, and/or pussy to some men is intensely sexual. Nudity itself is not sexual, though.

I think guys need to get outside their typical historical view of masculinity which is shaming to everything and everyone not in line with it.

londonredhead

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wear briefs as underwear and swim trunks (Aussie Bums). I regularly change in open changing room. I feel no shame. See lots of random underwear, don’t feel need to hide my briefs.

What we could talk about is how the gays (I am one) often have better underwear :joy: I often say to my best swim buddy “oh he can’t be gay, look at those pants!” LOL

EfromNL

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Fun In Bed
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As mentioned earlier I believe there is a huge difference between US guys and European guys with regards to underwear and speedos for that matter.
The US tends to be more prude and don't like to see thongs, tanga's or small underwear. It seems they (mostly straight guys) think the bigger the better.....only for trunks that is :)

With underwear it is hard to see, unless you are in a lockerroom situation, but still the above applies I guess. I am from Europe and during summer most guys here wear swimbriefs. Only the younger ones will wear trunks or bermuda style. The older guys tend to wear briefs or even tanga's.
Unfortunately during summer I don't see that many speedos on the beach as I go to a nude beach, but that is a whole different story :cool:

So guess it is just the American prude way of living that kicked in some time ago, so sad, but hey you are living your life and if people cannot deal with your choice of underwear, it is THEIR problem and not yours. If they comment about your underwear, ask them what is wrong with it or why they think you should not wear it.
If they are not willing to discuss, tell them to keep their mouth closed (politely) and just go your way.
I am really curious why other guys would tell others not to wear briefs or smaller, unless they are insecure about their own body?

Arthur244

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Briefs are a personal personality decision. I see guys modelling their underwear choices all the time. They don't show them off in mixed company, though.

I think, IMO, it comes down to the reasons for some guys doing the "towel dance." It's similar to why you don't see mixed orientation guys nude together. There is so much shame - much like we see on this website. No one wants to feel less than. Or they are propagating the misogynistic perspectives they place on women - which is - Women wear bikinis to attract men and very sexual to them so if a man wears a bikini they are likely gay and trying to pick up other men. Also, to them, nudity is sexual so any exposure of dick, ass, and/or pussy to some men is intensely sexual. Nudity itself is not sexual, though.

I think guys need to get outside their typical historical view of masculinity which is shaming to everything and everyone not in line with it.
yes, its surprising how we say we are becoming more and more non-judgemental but actually we are becoming more and more of it.. i mean equating briefs with being gay is just ridiculous...

Steevh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I tend to wear the tight boxer type speedo. Reasoning is although they are tight, it’s not so difficult as with shorts when you get out the water. Because it’s a little more compressed you don’t get as much of an outline, the liners in shorts are almost useless so it just makes it less revealing of all things. Also help you swim better - less drag.

Reactions: JBD_Mikk

JBD_Mikk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I tend to wear the tight boxer type speedo. Reasoning is although they are tight, it’s not so difficult as with shorts when you get out the water. Because it’s a little more compressed you don’t get as much of an outline, the liners in shorts are almost useless so it just makes it less revealing of all things. Also help you swim better - less drag.
I wear tight square-cut swim trunks too. Where I am in Canada swim briefs aren't as rare as they might be in parts of the US - but still, I'm utterly perplexed why the "norm" is for women to wear skimpy bikinis while men wear loose shorts. Surely both body types could be equally celebrated.

In any case, I don't really care what others think - so I simply enjoy the greater comfort of square-cuts as swimwear and briefs as underwear!

Steevh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I wear tight square-cut swim trunks too. Where I am in Canada swim briefs aren't as rare as they might be in parts of the US - but still, I'm utterly perplexed why the "norm" is for women to wear skimpy bikinis while men wear loose shorts. Surely both body types could be equally celebrated.

In any case, I don't really care what others think - so I simply enjoy the greater comfort of square-cuts as swimwear and briefs as underwear!
The discrepancy between men and women is ridiculous. I live in the UK, one guy was told off for wearing branded “budgie smugglers” which sure are pretty tight, yet there are girls/women of all kinds of sizes wearing g-strings with tie waists. To be clear this is a family pool I go to run by the local authority.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
No Response
Hoooo ! this one of the topics there are very hard to understand and, more difficult to debate.
First so you’ll understand my point of view, I’m an American borne in the USA, with an a Italian Mother and, a Mexican Father, I’ve travel almost all over the planet, I define my self as a European I grew up in Italy, the only issues I have is with white Americans. every beach whether it is in Spain , France, Italy or Greece, white Americans crunch wen they see us wearing swim briefs (speedos) .. I think is just an unsecured people .. as I know those the wear briefs and, bikini underwear.. must man are afraid to even say the word bikini .. people man wear bikinis too so just F&@“g chill you aren’t ! if you don’t like it, don’t wear them, or don’t look at them shit !!!
Just to help you out:
Americans CRINGE (not "crunch") when they see Speedos.
They are "INSECURE" (uncomfortable). The word "unsecured" refers to things like documents that are supposed to be "secure" (private, protected, not available to everyone).
So an "unsecured" location means it's not safe. (like Trump storing high security documents in his Mar-a- Lago bathroom. )
On this topic, "insecure" people refers to people who feel so awkward and uncomfortable when they see a Speedo (or a naked guy in the locker room or whatever) that they have to criticize them.

Ohiojohn

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Just to help you out:
Americans CRINGE (not "crunch") when they see Speedos.
They are "INSECURE" (uncomfortable). The word "unsecured" refers to things like documents that are supposed to be "secure" (private, protected, not available to everyone).
So an "unsecured" location means it's not safe. (like Trump storing high security documents in his Mar-a- Lago bathroom. )
On this topic, "insecure" people refers to people who feel so awkward and uncomfortable when they see a Speedo (or a naked guy in the locker room or whatever) that they have to criticize them.
Really didn’t need to bring politics into this topic.

• Haha
Reactions: Brickman7093

Freeballeruk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As my name here suggests, Im not a regular underwear wearer,
If I do, i do go for smaller styles

I'm old enough to remember in UK up to mid /late 80s mens/womens trendy underwear styles were both going same way as fabrics got better, styles got smaller, bikini, tanga and thongs were the alternative to old mens yfront, same with swimwear ,
I had a a very small pair of Speedo, that probably had a 1cm band at hip, and a pouch ,
Then it all changed and I totally gave up on underwear,after being part time.
I don't understand the difference in attitudes for what's acceptable men / women
Personal view is a decent thong is probably the most comfortable style for a man's parts.

Reactions: pacopolo

Arthur244

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
yes that's what i am failing to understand.. norm for women is go as skimpy as possible, and for men, go as long as possible but why so?.. but it doesn't happen in other countries i have been to.. many men wear bikini briefs and it is not at all considered bad or gayish or anything like that...

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yes that's what i am failing to understand.. norm for women is go as skimpy as possible, and for men, go as long as possible but why so?.. but it doesn't happen in other countries i have been to.. many men wear bikini briefs and it is not at all considered bad or gayish or anything like that...
I too have often wondered why women's clothes/swimwear tended toward dental floss size while men's tended toward parachutes, esp in the 90's with huge baggy pants. Who can explain?

Reactions: Ohiojohn

Arthur244

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I too have often wondered why women's clothes/swimwear tended toward dental floss size while men's tended toward parachutes, esp in the 90's with huge baggy pants. Who can explain?
honestly, I have received criticism for wearing briefs only from white dudes only, others don't seem to care or make comments or judgements on my choice of underwear, but not sure why.... i have tried to find that answer here, but no luck yet....

Kanashi

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
i have tried to find that answer here, but no luck yet....
i don't think you'll ever find an exact answer as to this why is. who knows why society dictates the rules it does and/or exactly how those rules come about. it probably has to do with several different factors and not just one thing. and when it comes to fashion, the rules change frequently. as the next generation comes along and grows up and starts making an impact on society, their ideas and preferences will influence change.

there was a time when women in the u.s. were covered head to toe, long sleeves with barely any skin exposed. now it's exceptable and common to see women in spaghetti strap tops and short shorts. but it's not as common to see women walking around topless in public whereas men can do so without any problems. but those changes don't usually happen overnight or because of one specific event or one individual.

Reactions: Steevh

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i don't think you'll ever find an exact answer as to this why is. who knows why society dictates the rules it does and/or exactly how those rules come about. it probably has to do with several different factors and not just one thing. and when it comes to fashion, the rules change frequently. as the next generation comes along and grows up and starts making an impact on society, their ideas and preferences will influence change.

there was a time when women in the u.s. were covered head to toe, long sleeves with barely any skin exposed. now it's exceptable and common to see women in spaghetti strap tops and short shorts. but it's not as common to see women walking around topless in public whereas men can do so without any problems. but those changes don't usually happen overnight or because of one specific event or one individual.
Well put!

My name is Yum Yum gimme some

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
One of the reasons I'm admittedly smitten with Eddie Chipp, besides his HOT AF body and good looks ...
EC hot.jpg

... is his unusual status as a straight (yes he's married to his longtime GF) professional bodybuilder who's unafraid to be photographed off the pro stage in the skimpiest underwear, be it for advertising ...
ECx2.jpg

... or for his own amusement and that of his many gay admirers.
:yum
ECx3.jpg

Reactions: dogt00th