davenva2000us

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I went to Va Tech too (back in the 1980's) and everyone showered naked. It was no big deal back then. Not once in the two years that I lived in the dorm did I see anything like a guy wearing a bathing suit in the shower or someone doing a towel dance. To the best of my memory, about 10 showerheads in one room, usually with only 2 or 3 guys in there. Sometimes there might be 7 or 8 guys in there during busy morning times. Like urinal ettiquette, you didn't shower right next to someone else unless that was all that was open.
I went to tech in the early 2000’s and they had stalls with curtains. Most guys would wear a towel in and out of the shower and change in their room.

GetNakedinSC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
A friend of mine told me that to this day, communal or open showers are still a thing in frat houses. Then I saw this video on TikTok. At least in the US, communal showers are disappearing from schools, gyms, etc. across the country. That is why I couldn't believe that fraternities haven't changed to private stalls or individual bathrooms in their houses. To any frat brothers out there, how common are open showers and communal nudity in frat houses?
On the tiktok "If you know the shower is on, just don't go in". That's just dumb.

Reactions: wslover and JayPR

SamMann75

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
This was back in the early 90s. I know 3 frat houses on campus had communal showers and that my fraternity still does.

That first semester from pledge to initiation you have been naked in front of the fraternity brothers so many times you don't think anything of a communal shower.

Tony56

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
due to space limitations & continual need I’ve heard between 60-75% of older fraternity houses still have communal showers. (And as it should be for quality daily dose of bro bonding).
My freshman dorm shower was a lot like that first picture. Got crowded in there.

Tony56

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
When I was an undergrad at Virginia Tech in the mid 90s the guys dorms all had open communal showers. By the time I came back for gradschool in the early 2000s they had all been converted to private stalls.

Would you happen to know if the ROTC dorm had retained its group showers? I would hope so.

Reactions: JayPR

Trevor

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Would you happen to know if the ROTC dorm had retained its group showers? I would hope so.
The Corps of Cadets dorms where ROTC students at Virginia Tech lived when I was there were all 70 to 100+ years old and have been razed and replaced with brand new buildings within the past decade. I have never been in the new cadet dorms but I'd suspect that they were probably built with stall showers.

Reactions: Tony56

AlecDean

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
My frat did and it still is. There was one night of hazing where the upper classes dumped all kind of crap on the pledge class who had to then run around the Greek system as fast as we could but then when we finished all (about 35 19 year-olds) of us had to squeeze into one of the shower rooms about 8’x10’ with only 6 shower heads to clean up after (literally nuts to butts) slippery bodies in every direction every time you tried to move. first time I had actual contact with another man’s penis. I think they still have that hazing ritual

RobbyThicc

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Why are communal showers updating to private stalls? Would you think, there could have been a case where someone claimed SA? So to stop the possibility. They make it private stalls. I'm sure most here wouldn't mind walking in on a guy masturbating. But not everyone wanna see something like that. What do you think?

Txprvdude

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why are communal showers updating to private stalls? Would you think, there could have been a case where someone claimed SA? So to stop the possibility. They make it private stalls. I'm sure most here wouldn't mind walking in on a guy masturbating. But not everyone wanna see something like that. What do you think?
No... lol... its not because of sexual assault. Thats not likely to happen in a fraternity house.

its because a lot of younger american guys [snowflakes] have issues with being nude in these types of settings and they are, unfortunately, a vocal group [tik toks complaining about seeing nude men in the locker room etc] and so to appease the little whiney towel dancers some frats remodel.

bvm767

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mine did not and neither did any on my campus. We did have several stalls in one room, but they had blurred glass. I liked other frat boys, but my brothers were…my brothers. I didn’t really want to see them naked anyways haha

Reactions: JayPR

PutItInHere691

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Years ago they all were pretty much open showers .. now it seems like they are all closed in no one can see anyone else or touch them..

I think this is going to teach people to be more ashamed of their bodies.. that it would be than if showers were open..

then it will effect how they approach being naked alone in bed with someone.. feeling self conscience..

I’ve never been ashamed and never will be

Jon1971

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Years ago they all were pretty much open showers .. now it seems like they are all closed in no one can see anyone else or touch them..

I think this is going to teach people to be more ashamed of their bodies.. that it would be than if showers were open..

then it will effect how they approach being naked alone in bed with someone.. feeling self conscience..

I’ve never been ashamed and never will be
That's what I often wonder. If another guy can't see them naked, how are they ever going to have sex with a woman?

walker2

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
We had communal showers in our fraternity in the late 70s. Two of my brothers with big bushes would blow them dry after the shower. I didn't realize wet pubic hair for those with so many of them was a problem.

The dorms also had communal showers. A guy who was raised on a farm dressed in overalls and wore a cowboy hat everywhere. Once I saw him in the shower. He was as hung as a stallion with low hanging balls and a huge bush. I think he would be terrified if I approached him. I would be terrified if I approached him. God bless those farm boys.

One friend had a work-study job watching every guy take a required soap shower before entering the campus pool. There were at least 24 showerheads in there. He claimed he hated it, watching all these guys with their cocks and balls and bushes getting rubbed up with soap and then rinsing. I wouldn't dare tell him, but I would have taken that job in a heartbeat.

Lionsden

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Yeah LOL Kinda hard to take a shower with your clothes on.
That was a snarky answer. It has been stated early on that young men were squeamish over the thoughts of being naked in the showers, so they began to shower with swim trumks on. So, the idea is not that far-fetched. Showering naked has a gay connotation to it these days.