Jordan Peterson

PostPhobos

Loved Member
Media
Twitter discourse is completely sordid... Everything is distilled into dichotomies and false dilemmas. Discussions go nowhere because people reformulate questions to fit their answers. So it doesn't even matter anymore... Plot's been lost before anything already. In a way... It's so easy to crunch and manipulate this sort, and make money off of them. Waitresses are experts at it. Elon's doing it so well, Trump's back on Twitter. The concerning issue is that this type if Twitter discourse replete with cognitive problems is spilling into political discourse. I have absolutely no idea how to fix these people.

Fixing narcissists is nearly impossible, any therapist will tell you how they fired many narcissist patients. If that book helped you become a man with earned confidence, who is compassionate and protects the weak, then great. You are not wasting time on Twitter, transvestites having fun don't threaten nor trigger you, you know that there isn't a worldwide conspiracy to mutilate children's genitals...
I was quoted so I'll try to respond.

I mean I don't think I've much to say about twitter...I don't use it. I don't think our issues are as simple as "bad people on twitter are making the politics bad." The politics and the social media platforms are toxic because people are tribal, fearful, and stupid. I'm not sure what the personality disorder of narcissism has to do with that.

I also couldn't quite understand the point involving transgenderism. But I think that "transvestite" is considered a derogatory term these days. I'd avoid it even if you mean no offense.

Christian religion is about compassion... And particularly Catholics are organized hierarchically, so they can change, and we can observe this. Some other religions are irrecuperable, they'll even chop your head off if you mention them.

What on Earth are you talking about? Christianity is about compassion and the OTHER religions are without merit? Am I understanding this right?

Christianity has positive teachings included in it, but compassion means having love and empathy for people. USA Christians prove on the regular that they don't feel those things universally. And I'm frankly tired of them pretending they have a monopoly on good deeds.

Honeycereal

Expert Member
Media
I was quoted so I'll try to respond.

I mean I don't think I've much to say about twitter...I don't use it. I don't think our issues are as simple as "bad people on twitter are making the politics bad." The politics and the social media platforms are toxic because people are tribal, fearful, and stupid. I'm not sure what the personality disorder of narcissism has to do with that.

I also couldn't quite understand the point involving transgenderism. But I think that "transvestite" is considered a derogatory term these days. I'd avoid it even if you mean no offense.

What on Earth are you talking about? Christianity is about compassion and the OTHER religions are without merit? Am I understanding this right?

Christianity has positive teachings included in it, but compassion means having love and empathy for people. USA Christians prove on the regular that they don't feel those things universally. And I'm frankly tired of them pretending they have a monopoly on good deeds.
Hmmm no, that's not my point. But it's true that many psychologist don't yet accept narcissism or narcissistic traits as one specific pattern of behaviour.

My point is that Catholics are organised, and they can change. The world and society can work with them.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Hmmm no, that's not my point. But it's true that many psychologist don't yet accept narcissism or narcissistic traits as one specific pattern of behaviour.

My point is that Catholics are organised, and they can change. The world and society can work with them.
Yes, Catholics are very organized. Especially when it comes to ignoring or downplaying the crimes of priests.

The only change Catholicism needs to make is a switch from existing to not existing.

PostPhobos

Loved Member
Media
Like again, I never mentioned narcissism. I don't want to have a discussion about narcissism. It's a complete non-sequitur from anything that was happening in this discussion. It is, however, a recognized disorder so I'm not sure why you think otherwise.

APA PsycNet

Charitably your "point" then is that Catholics exist. I believe you. Loathe as I may be to admit it, they do indeed exist.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Yes, Catholics are very organized. Especially when it comes to ignoring or downplaying the crimes of priests.

The only change Catholicism needs to make is a switch from existing to not existing.

Standing ovation.

*Was raised Catholic*.

I'm good not feeling like I have to feel guilty for almost every moment of my life.

Tis all.

Reactions: PostPhobos

Honeycereal

Expert Member
Media
Like again, I never mentioned narcissism. I don't want to have a discussion about narcissism. It's a complete non-sequitur from anything that was happening in this discussion. It is, however, a recognized disorder so I'm not sure why you think otherwise.

APA PsycNet

Charitably your "point" then is that Catholics exist. I believe you. Loathe as I may be to admit it, they do indeed exist.
Not as a disorder... But it is the result of social media in my opinion.

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm glad he has been helpful to you. I enjoy his lectures on psychology but he keeps falling on his face. His belief in god is the absolute face plant.

Like most he suffers from Influencer Syndrome.
It's like all argument, facts, statistics or percentages. Whether it be about god, gods or the unknown. Humans use it, stretch it, twist it away from it's original meaning.

Like a question by someone "Can you ride Kangaroos". Someone could take that...(which they have)...and sy yes. You have to hold on here, tuck your feet in there, earn a learners by riding a smaller Kangaroo and receive an open licence when you ride a Red.

There would be millions out there that would believe that, especially dressing yourself up in a Ranger uniform and speaking seriously.

But no, you have to win the boxing match with a Red first before you earn your open licence to ride one. Seriously......................:) It hasn't been photoshopped :) Red Roo.jpg

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Oh, by the way they are great at MMA, won't even mention their toe claw. Earning a riding licence to ride a Roo is serious business. My apologies if I've taken this thread off the beaten track and twisted the truth a little....A male Red is all muscle, (no roids), can grow to over 6ft and weigh 90 kilos, are cute and cuddly.

Applications are open now :)

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Casper1980

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
His therapist told him to stay off Twitter.

The organisation regulating his license has asked him to take a remedial course. He has agreed to take it and share the experience.

I so look forward to the catalogue of trolling. Popcorn anyone?

Laughs in the millions of people around the world still suffering from sexual abuse, who haven’t yet received compensation or apologies

Attachments

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Laughs in the millions of people around the world still suffering from sexual abuse, who haven’t yet received compensation or apologies
Modern humans have been here 200,000 years. Catholics and most other religion for the past 2,500, or there about.... Who do we point the finger at before that?

Just asking. I suppose we all lived in harmony with each other, all was perfect with the world. I think, with my meager knowledge, religion was and supposed to end that. Which it did for apparently a small period in time. But then humans do, what humans do....twist, manipulate, use other humans for their gain....and then back to square 1. So, let's invent something else...okay, Atheism....yes, Atheists are all pure and clean, and all else is untrue, fiction, deniable and those who believe in whatever are fruitcakes. Make fun of them, belittle them, it's all their fault.

Yup, good one. The world is a much better place. Sounds a lot like passing the buck. Doesn't it?

Last edited:

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Modern humans have been here 200,000 years. Catholics and most other religion for the past 2,500, or there about.... Who do we point the finger at before that?

Just asking. I suppose we all lived in harmony with each other, all was perfect with the world. I think, with my meager knowledge, religion was and supposed to end that. Which it did for apparently a small period in time. But then humans do, what humans do....twist, manipulate, use other humans for their gain....and then back to square 1. So, let's invent something else...okay, Atheism....yes, Atheists are all pure and clean, and all else is untrue, fiction, deniable and those who believe in whatever are fruitcakes. Make fun of them, belittle them, it's all their fault.

Yup, good one. The world is a much better place. Sounds a lot like passing the buck. Doesn't it?

You're missing the point on a variety of topics. Lame post.

dreambridger

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I appreciate that he's popularizing mythopoesis -- as someone who loved Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung growing up, I appreciate his approach to decoding metaphors in myths. However I disagree with his Judeo-Christian angle, the idea that the Christ myth is responsible for individualism (strongly disagree) and his insinuation, common with Christians, that the only alternative to Christian morality is moral relativism, I'm not convinced.

That being said, I don't antagonize him for this disagreement. I feel like I could have a productive discussion about this with him if I met him. He's usually good at admitting ignorance too if he doesn't entirely understand something. He shouts out the gnostics and the nag hammadi in his bible series as people who had alternative myths with different implications, though he admits he's not qualified to talk about it. I prefer the Gnostic myths over the official biblical versions so I appreciated that he mentioned them while admitting he didn't understand.

Sometimes he says things I consider dangerous, though I don't think he does it with ill will. Like telling men to marry as soon as possible -- it scares me the men who might take him seriously and ruin their lives because of this advice. JP married his childhood sweetheart -- good for him, but he needs to understand how rare that is and that's not even close to the baseline for everyone else.

his early lectures on his youtube page before he got famous, the maps of meaning and personality lecture series, in my opinion, that's his best work.

Casper1980

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

The Catholic Church is still an institution that exploits, oppresses, rapes and swindles a great part of the known world. All while growing fat of the interest of the capital they accrued from every misdeed they have wrought through history. It’s not a hypothetical. It’s an historical and present reality, unlike your straw man propositions and your - frankly poor - attempt at sarcasm. And your Jordan Petersonesque disingenuousness.

PostPhobos

Loved Member
Media
Find Jesus and lose weight!!! Giant wacky hair is extra: Gwen Shamblin Lara - Wikipedia
The con artists don't even try to hide their financial motivations anymore.

I'm of several minds about stuff like this. In part I'm off to the side saying if you get conned by bullshit it is your own damn fault. But sometimes it really isn't. If you come of age and no one tried to teach you critical thinking and your brain stops computing at "JESUS IS LOVE" it's kinda hard to say it is your own fault entirely.

I've a special place of contempt for psychics who try to prey on people after a loss, offering them communion with their dearly departed loved ones.

Religion is filled with fake promises and placebos.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The con artists don't even try to hide their financial motivations anymore.

I'm of several minds about stuff like this. In part I'm off to the side saying if you get conned by bullshit it is your own damn fault. But sometimes it really isn't. If you come of age and no one tried to teach you critical thinking and your brain stops computing at "JESUS IS LOVE" it's kinda hard to say it is your own fault entirely.

I've a special place of contempt for psychics who try to prey on people after a loss, offering them communion with their dearly departed loved ones.

Religion is filled with fake promises and placebos.

Sorry, I cannot see a video of Robert Tilton without thinking of this oldie but goodie:

Reactions: PostPhobos