What book are you currently reading?

Topher the Gopher

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I recognize her from the 2000-2005 installment of Queer as Folk.
Current read: Aparently There Were Complaints by Sharon Gless

Funny and at times jaw dropping. Still have a bit to go (we haven't even gotten to Cagney and Lacey) but it's a high recommendation from me.

View attachment 123310691

Reactions: SmokedPython

jeroenn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I haven't read anything by Michel Houellebecq. Any recommendations?

If you want to tune in to Houellebecq, you can start with Whatever. It feels similar, but Serotonin is more complex.
Submission is somewhat political.
I consider The Map and the territory to be his best work.

poopyred

Loved Member
Media
Im reading The Burglary: The Discovery of J. Edgar Hoover's Secret FBI by Betty Medsger
It delves into the story of the 1970's Citizen Committee to Investigate the FBI who, as an act of civil disobedience, broke into a local FBI Office to collect file to prove war crimes and use of nuclear weapons in Vietnam. Instead, they stole files that exposed Hoover's secret FBI, which collected information on some 26K law abiding American citizens, instigated paranoia among the public, and ignored the constitution (amoung other things). I was only born in 97, so this is my 1st deep dive into Hoover legacy. He reminds me of Ole Man Daley out of old Chicago

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Im reading The Burglary: The Discovery of J. Edgar Hoover's Secret FBI by Betty Medsger
It delves into the story of the 1970's Citizen Committee to Investigate the FBI who, as an act of civil disobedience, broke into a local FBI Office to collect file to prove war crimes and use of nuclear weapons in Vietnam. Instead, they stole files that exposed Hoover's secret FBI, which collected information on some 26K law abiding American citizens, instigated paranoia among the public, and ignored the constitution (amoung other things). I was only born in 97, so this is my 1st deep dive into Hoover legacy. He reminds me of Ole Man Daley out of old Chicago

Definitely go deeper, into the illegal and desperate attempts of the various USA spy organizations that were perpetuated against law abiding American citizens in the 1960's through the 1970's. Especially oriented to disrupt the work of the Civil Rights Movement and the Anti-Vietnam War Movement, then later, against the USA's burgeoning Feminist and Gay Rights organizations.

For instance: The FBI's Co-IntellPro program's "operatives" that infiltrated progressive organizations that then purposely ruined many respectable Americans' careers and lives.

COINTELPRO - Wikipedia.

Shame!... Shame!... SHAME!

A/B

Last edited:

radley

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Currently reading:
The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi by Shannon Chakraborty - Fiction, Fantasy/Adventure. Protagonist is a pirate that is a 40-something, Muslim, single mother. About 40% done. It's a lot of fun so far.

Recently finished:
Prophet Song by Paul Lynch - Fiction, Dystopian/Suspense. Whew, so good, but gave such a sense of dread the entire book. A quick read.

The Art Thief by Michael Finkel - Nonfiction. I don't ever remember seeing this in the news, but I was younger and probably not paying attention. Not life-changing but a fascinating read and pretty unbelievable story. Also, a quick read.

dreambridger

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm really close to finishing The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, which I really liked most of, but feel like it should've ended much earlier. The last 150 pages feels like an extended epilogue that explains way too much and even gets preachy with its message, I would have much rather it ended after the main climax and let me make up my own mind about things.

bugler

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Have any of you read anything by queer mystery series writer, Rob Osler?
Thanks for adding this new author, I have ordered his 'Devils Chew Toy'.

Some gay themed books I have read recently.
'Secret City: the hidden history of gay Washington' by James Kirchik (revealing and fascinating)
'The Swimming Pool Library' by Alan Hollinghurst
'The Kingdom of Sand' by Andrew Holleran
'Valiant Gentlemen' by Sabina Murray. (fictional novel about Roger Casement)
'The Humble Lover' by Edmund White

Reactions: SmokedPython

louparis10

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
20240329_111226.jpg

401 BCE north of Babylon.
Ten thousand mercenaries armed like the three hundred at Thermopylae. Their leaders were massacred by the Persians. Isolated in a foreign land, they open a bloody path through hostile territories.

Reactions: poopyred

dreambridger

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
currently reading Vineland by Thomas Pynchon. oh how i adore adore adore Pynchon. Perhaps my favorite American author. I'm always feeling less alone when I'm absorbed in his books, they offer sanctuary to the "intelligent stoner" you could say.

Some gay themed books I have read recently.
I read a great gay sci-fi pulp from the early 70s recently called The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrod. It's about a guy with a time machine who winds up falling in love with versions of himself from other time streams. I know the premise sounds goofy and narcissistic, but it's not written that way, it's written really tenderly and beautifully.

Also speaking of Thomas Pynchon, my favorite book by him, Against the Day, features some very hot content of a bisexual throuple that is unforgettable.

jeroenn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Andrés Barba: A Luminous Republic (hungarian ed.)

A Luminous Republic is a suspenseful, anguished fable that “could be read as Lord of the Flies seen from the other side, but that would rob Barba of the profound originality of his world” (Juan Gabriel Vásquez).

covers_723134.jpg

CreamEggOmlette

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have been on a tear lately. So, recent reads are:

The Best Strangers in the World -- Ari Shapiro
Ari is the host of All Things Considered and a singer with Pink Martini. This is not only a look at his own life but at the stories that have influenced him the most.

American Demon -- Daniel Stashower
It's 1930's Cleveland, Ohio and in walks Elliot Ness, fresh from his war on Al Capone. Ness is the new Safety Commissioner for the city, and he has big plans for it. When headless torsos begin showing up, things go off the rails.

The Body Is Not An Apology -- Sonya Renee Taylor
A critical look at the how we not only view our own bodies but how that affects how we view the bodies and lives around us.

White Fragility -- Dr. Robin DiAngelo
Dealing with prejudice and racism from the inside out.

What If? -- Randall Munroe
The creator of XKCD gives serious, scientific answers to some of the most ridiculous hypothetical questions. Ever.

A Short History Of Nearly Everything -- Bill Bryson
From Quarks to the rise of Man. Briefly.

Oscar Wars -- Michael Schulman
The true story of the creation of the Academy, it's struggle to maintain relevance, Oscar campaigns, and who won the DeHavilland/Fontaine war.

Unruly -- David Mitchell
The Kings and Queens of England have been a naughty bunch. Mitchell (Peep Show, That Mitchell And Webb Look) details how naughty.

A History of Britan, Vol 1-3 -- Simon Schama
Yes, it's a slog and will probably take you a year to finish, but it's damn interesting if you're a history buff.

Apparently There Were Complaints -- Sharon Gless
Second-best biography I've read this year (Streisand's was number 1).