Omar Rudberg

Caesarimp

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
But Simon only suffered classism. He never suffered homophobia or racism. At the beginning of the series, there were people who even commented that August and his friends were racist towards Simon, but it wasn't that, it was classism. Especially because August's friend of Indian origin has darker skin than Simon's skin. I don't know where people got this racist thing from lol

There are specific instances I can recall where he is made fun of for being gay and an immigrant lol. There’s not a lot of overt racism in the show, but it is definitely significant that his skin is not the same color 99% of the other students, and that he’s gay, and working class.

I was not intending to launch a debate here, the larger point is that Omar is way hotter than most of the rest of the cast.

Brunasan

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd say PLOT, mainly o_O. But also it's Sweden. Give this YT a listen, for some raw and honest convo about bullying that Omar experienced himself (warning: it's quite heartrending)

I've seen this interview, it made me sad. And look, Omar, at least here in South America, is not considered black, I myself don't see him as black, but perhaps, for some Europeans, he is. Imagine what a dark-skinned black person in Europe suffers. Very sad

Brunasan

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lembro-me de casos específicos em que ele foi ridicularizado por ser gay e imigrante haha. Não há muito racismo evidente no programa, mas é definitivamente significativo que sua pele não seja da mesma cor de 99% dos outros estudantes, e que ele seja gay e da classe trabalhadora.

Eu não pretendia lançar um debate aqui, o ponto principal é que Omar é muito mais gostoso do que a maior parte do resto do elenco.
Yes, Omar is delicious

milkway1

Loved Member
Media
I always found it kind of amusing that nobody besides Wilhelm in that show seemed to quite understand how gorgeous he is lol. I mean, I know that racism/homophobia/classism have a lot to do with it, but still.
It all has everything to do with ... tv lacking mid to ugly people. In the real world, they wouldn't be that hot. Every new show is someone struggling to find a partner and they look like they stepped off a modelling shoot. It's unrealistic. For once, I want to see unique people, not the same skinny chiseled sculptured specimens.

Caesarimp

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It all has everything to do with ... tv lacking mid to ugly people. In the real world, they wouldn't be that hot. Every new show is someone struggling to find a partner and they look like they stepped off a modelling shoot. It's unrealistic. For once, I want to see unique people, not the same skinny chiseled sculptured specimens.

Well by comparison to what you see in American TV these kind of *are* normal people. Even the HS show that can't be named. All shows still full of gorgeous people, but compared to the chiseled abtastic models on a CW show they're fairly "normal" looking in the sense that they look like a person you might actually see on the street and not only at a casting call for Ford Models.

On the one hand I agree with you, it would be nice to see more unique or average looking people in starring roles. On the other hand, watching beautiful people on screen has always been part of the escapism of film and television. The beautiful people are why we're all here. But a healthier mixture would be nice, absolutely.

bigboaster

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Well by comparison to what you see in American TV these kind of *are* normal people. Even the HS show that can't be named. All shows still full of gorgeous people, but compared to the chiseled abtastic models on a CW show they're fairly "normal" looking in the sense that they look like a person you might actually see on the street and not only at a casting call for Ford Models.

On the one hand I agree with you, it would be nice to see more unique or average looking people in starring roles. On the other hand, watching beautiful people on screen has always been part of the escapism of film and television. The beautiful people are why we're all here. But a healthier mixture would be nice, absolutely.
I feel like there is already a healthy mix though. But some people will just cherry pick the examples that "prove their point" and ignore any media that doesn't.

I am not saying there definitely isn't a major slant towards "unrealistic" standards but I think it's more than likely over exaggerated tbh.

This whole conversation about "representation" is as usual rife with hypocrisy and selective bias.

{not directing this to you btw but just Lpsg in general and other spaces like X where these mind numbing conversations typically take place}

bigboaster

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Meh. I don't have this hangup personally about "authentic" representation. I think most media and history highlights exceptional people. Hollywood and film has often propped up the exceptionally skilled or exceptionally beautiful and I'm fine with that.

I am not watching fiction to see average and boring quite frankly.

milkway1

Loved Member
Media
I don't even think The CW has hot people. Most are mid. Netflix and HBO on the other hand...
On the one hand I agree with you, it would be nice to see more unique or average looking people in starring roles.
I think it's more important than nice, but I'm not too keen on it.
On the other hand, watching beautiful people on screen has always been part of the escapism of film and television. The beautiful people are why we're all here. But a healthier mixture would be nice, absolutely.
It sets a bad image of beauty over talent which will never work. I like watching beautiful people too but if everyone is beautiful it doesn't mean shit. For every Omar, there needs to be an Edvin. For every Kit, there needs a Joe. And then there's the absolute god like Will Gao.

milkway1

Loved Member
Media
I feel like there is already a healthy mix though. But some people will just cherry pick the examples that "prove their point" and ignore any media that doesn't.

I am not saying there definitely isn't a major slant towards "unrealistic" standards but I think it's more than likely over exaggerated tbh.
It's not. Everyone has 10% body fat or less with perfect spaceless blindingly white teeth.
This whole conversation about "representation" is as usual rife with hypocrisy and selective bias.
For me, it's not about representation. It's about realism and opportunity.
{not directing this to you btw but just Lpsg in general and other spaces like X where these mind numbing conversations typically take place}

milkway1

Loved Member
Media
Meh. I don't have this hangup personally about "authentic" representation.
It's more about realistic portrayals vs idealism.
I think most media and history highlights exceptional people. Hollywood and film has often propped up the exceptionally skilled or exceptionally beautiful and I'm fine with that.
So am I. But when you lean heavily towards beauty, a reality check is always around the corner.
I am not watching fiction to see average and boring quite frankly.
Average =/= boring. Most of us are average or less than.

milkway1

Loved Member
Media
This very same thing came up on Edvin Ryding's thread.

----------- Excerpt----------------------------------
He doesn't have to. A common criticism of American stuff nowadays is how everyone looks the same ie they stepped off a modeling shoot. I think it's important to cast unique looking people. Like you mean to say no one in the show the characters they play looked at them and wanted them? It seems weird that no one was in love with Omar's character given how gorgeous he is.

Enjay87

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

To be fair, in HS the only cast members that looks attractive in the show are Kit, and Bash.
The rest only look good when they're made up for photoshoots or modelling gigs outside of the show...
In YR most of them look pretty attractive, it's just Omar is next level.