Madonna - Bedtime Stories Is Her Most Underrated Album

Marco Tony

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Madonna - Bedtime Stories celebrates its 30th anniversary this year. The album was released in late 1994. It was a more mature album that showned her softer side. The album was well received by the critiques. I remember how praised this album was. But somehow the album ended up being just an average hit. Many fans says that Bedtime Stories is one her best album. But this album is still quite overlooked. I think that her voice sounds the best on this album. Madonna also rarelly performs songs from Bedtime Stories in her tours.

Many says that Erotica is better. Even more says that Ray Of Light is her best album. I disagree with that and i think that this is here most overrated album. Only the singles are good from that album. Bedtime Stories is a superior album in my opinion. The songs just better lyrically and the music is more interesting. And i'm not a fan of R-n-B. This album should have been more popular. Its surprising that Bedtime Stories is quite forgotten. Its a good album.

Any of you have this album? What do you think about this album? What is your favorite songs on this album? Do you think that Bedtime Stories aged well?

R-704624-1561328317-1772.jpg
R-1826109-1527800004-1138.jpg
R-704624-1618843536-3529.jpg

Alf3007

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It is definitely overlooked. TBH I think it’s in the top 3 of madge’s albums, note to mention that the music video is one jewel of art and pop before those words were put together haha. Personally and to my music taste I think the royalty of Madonna’s album is: 1- Ray of Light 2- Confessions 3- Bedtime Stories

Kanashi

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
i don't think it's her best nor is it my fav of hers, but it is a great, fun album that i definitely enjoy!! i still remember the first time i heard secret on the radio during class at school. the radio dj said she was going to release an album with more of an r&b sound featuring production by babyface and i thought "madonna? r&b? babyface?? wtf?"

but when it was released and i borrowed it from a friend, i fell in love with it right away and immediately dubbed the cassette :)laughing:).

bedtime story, to me was the perfect precursor to her more "electronica" sound/vibe. and the video ofc is fire!

i love the funkyness meshell ndegeocello contributed to i'd rather be your lover, it's such a feel good song!

i love the emotion and vulnerability she shows on inside of me, love tried to welcome and take a bow.

human nature is the perfect "fuck you, I'm not ashamed of who i am" anthem!

it took many years to fully grow on me, but i now consider secret my jam! such a laid back and chill vibe.

the only song on it that I'm not crazy about is don't stop, but even still, i won't skip it when it comes on.

Reactions: Alf3007

Nalyd4Slave

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
IDK, I think apart from the very disarming vulnerability of "Love Tried to Welcome Me," it's kind of, hate to say it, bland. 'Erotica' had the edgy bad girl vibe, 'Ray of Light' had the futuristic spiritual vibe. 'Bedtime Stories' lacks a strong identity compared to those two in my opinion, it's just 'nice.'

'True Blue's' actually her most underrated for me, which, I know it's one of her best-selling, but it's not really critically acclaimed or a fan favourite. I think it's her best overall collection of banger singles with a few pleasant fillers. Not her best album (still think that's 'Ray of Light') but perhaps her most enjoyable for an easy fun listen.

Steeno616

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Between Erotica and Bedtime Stories, this was the peak of my Madonna obsession back in high school. Though I had known some of her songs from the 80s because they would come on the radio (Like a Prayer, True Blue, etc...), it was the Girlie Show tour that I somehow got my parents to let me rent from Blockbuster that changed my teenaged life. The blatant sexuality, the unapologetic confidence, and, well, the hot men, were what ultimately got me to come out.

Looking back, the dual tracks of Sanctuary and Bedtime Story were kind of a preamble to the electronica-heavy Ray of Light (which I actually didn't like very much). But Take a Bow was one of my favorite songs off this album, especially when considered together with the "sequel" in You'll See.

And that video for Human Nature probably played a role in some of my kinks to this day... =)

Reactions: Alf3007 and Kanashi

Rubino

Sexy Member
Media
If they were released vice versa (like Bedtime Stories was released in 92 and Erotica came later) I TRULY believe that Erotica would have been one of the biggest selling records of her entire career. It's was an amazing album BUT back then people felt exhausted with her repeated sex themes.

dickhungryboy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
honestly? i don't really care for this album. secret and bedtime story (and your honesty) are the only songs i tolerate. the rest... meh, it's quite boring. songs like forbidden love or take a bow feel wayyy too long. she even sounds bored herself

for me, definitely one of her weakest albums

Breathfromanother

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Madonna - Bedtime Stories celebrates its 30th anniversary this year. The album was released in late 1994. It was a more mature album that showned her softer side. The album was well received by the critiques. I remember how praised this album was. But somehow the album ended up being just an average hit. Many fans says that Bedtime Stories is one her best album. But this album is still quite overlooked. I think that her voice sounds the best on this album. Madonna also rarelly performs songs from Bedtime Stories in her tours.

Many says that Erotica is better. Even more says that Ray Of Light is her best album. I disagree with that and i think that this is here most overrated album. Only the singles are good from that album. Bedtime Stories is a superior album in my opinion. The songs just better lyrically and the music is more interesting. And i'm not a fan of R-n-B. This album should have been more popular. Its surprising that Bedtime Stories is quite forgotten. Its a good album.

Any of you have this album? What do you think about this album? What is your favorite songs on this album? Do you think that Bedtime Stories aged well?

View attachment 125517531 View attachment 125517551 View attachment 125517541
I'm with everything you said here. I like Ray of Light and there are album tracks that are just as good as the singles but, but I find it overrated too. Back to Bedtime Stories: love it! I'm a huge R&B lover (particularly 90's R&B) and I like Madonna incorporates the genre into her music.

TBH, no, the album isn't particularly exciting and there was no drama surrounding its release, but it's a beautifully done mood piece. Everything fits together so well and I especially the sequencing of Sanctuary and Bedtime Story which was more trip hop/electronic-laced than the other tracks.

I love all of the tracks, but (aside from the singles) my top 3 are Inside of Me, Love Tried to Welcome Me and Sanctuary.