Getting Hooked With True Crime Shows

D

deleted1149118

Can't do it myself. It gives me an unsettling feeling. I do like fictional thrillers, though, including fictional crime. I suspect the fact true crime is, well, true, lends my brain the food it needs to start wandering into the deep ends of civility and human behavior outside of normal behavior.

tekno99

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I usually listen to them on podcasts at work. "Criminal" or "Sword and Scale" being my top two choices. "Morbid" isn't bad either but the ads are crazy long. Annoying to try and fast forward while working.
Criminal is great, can't stand morbid though. I keep trying but they get too emotionally involved in the cases rather than just reporting imo.

Reactions: LeftHandLuke

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Though fictional TV, I enjoy watching " Law and Order,' , a New York based police / district attorney drama that ran for 20 years .

62f7764402722a85f2dff7d64eec43a8.jpg

kennethmarkzamora

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My mistake is reading about unsolved murders before going to bed. :D

so true! if you watch Jennifer Kesse's case, it's so creepy! The suspect was captured on cctv but out of all body parts that could be covered, it was his face. until now the case is unsolved! the murderer got away with it!

Reactions: Player_01

dontevenworryaboutit

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I enjoy consuming true crime, and I read a theory about why humans enjoy horror movies a while ago, which I think is similar to why we enjoy true crime.

Yes, it's interesting, and we want to have some level of understanding around why another human could commit such an atrocious crime, etc...

However, the theory goes something like this; we are able to experience the terror and fear that the characters experience during a horror movie, as we watch on, but we are safe from the consequences. We're in our lounge room, in a blanket watching a film. We can turn the film off anytime. When the film is over, we know it was just a movie and that it didn't really happen - at least not to us.

I feel like I can relate to that to a degree when I watch/listen to true crime. Sometimes I get so involved in it, that I really feel scared or creeped out. It's disturbing in a way, but it's almost like a simulation. It's just a feeling, and there's nothing that is threatening to me. I'm getting a little insight of how the victim must have felt, while being totally safe.

boomerboi

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I recommend the new series Only Murders in the Building on Hulu.

"Only Murders in the Building follows three strangers (Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez) who share an obsession with true crime and suddenly find themselves wrapped up in one. When a grisly death occurs inside their exclusive Upper West Side apartment building, the trio suspects murder and employs their precise knowledge of true crime to investigate the truth. As they record a podcast of their own to document the case, the three unravel the complex secrets of the building which stretch back years. Perhaps even more explosive are the lies they tell one another. Soon, the endangered trio comes to realize a killer might be living amongst them as they race to decipher the mounting clues before it’s too late."

LPSG Simon

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Media
Though fictional TV, I enjoy watching " Law and Order,' , a New York based police / district attorney drama that ran for 20 years .

So good. I binged it over again a few summers back. I love how you get to see the tail end of "bankrupt New York" in the early seasons. Near the end, you could see how the budget had gotten cut and how the shooting locations had been really diminished or put onto a soundstage. :(

Im also into anything morbid / historical. If they're digging up old bones, I'm hooked. Pompeii, Black Plague, Donnelly Massacre.... you name it.

There was a great series from the UK called History Cold Case, where they bring in modern forensics for historical remains discoveries. They only made like 6 episodes and I wish there were more.

Capitolhillguy

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've watched several things on Ted Bundy. Mindhunter, based on a true crime study and staring hunky gay lead star is wonderful. Major Crimes and The Closer have been major addictions of mine. I loved the first season of The Fall UK, but not the rest. I would have loved Prime Suspect if it had subtitles.

Reactions: deleted848353

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

There were many great actors on "Law and Order" and it's spin-offs over the years.

I also remember an interview with a well-known playwright who said he judged his writing on a Law & Order standard: If it wasn't as compelling as watching an episode of Law & Order, he threw it out!

Reactions: ronin001

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I really enjoyed thee BBC show "Unforgotten" . Season 4 just aired in the US on PBS, but I think it's available on HULU. It stars the wonderful Nicola Walker.

She also starred in an episode of Luther (Season 2 I believe) that still haunts me more than a decade later.

D

deleted1846971

Is it weird to like watching real crime shows? I just recently got hooked and I don't know if it's weird or okay. Or if anyone is or has been experiencing it too?
You’re normal. There is a reason serial killers are studied instead of immediately executed. Normal people just want to understand one question:Why? After that the question of “How” leads to shows like Criminal Minds.

Reactions: ronin001

kennethmarkzamora

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You’re normal. There is a reason serial killers are studied instead of immediately executed. Normal people just want to understand one question:Why? After that the question of “How” leads to shows like Criminal Minds.

right? like how does a killer (who is just a bad person) differ to killer who is psychopathic/sociopathic. so many questions indeed!
what's your favorite case atm?

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So good. I binged it over again a few summers back. I love how you get to see the tail end of "bankrupt New York" in the early seasons. Near the end, you could see how the budget had gotten cut and how the shooting locations had been really diminished or put onto a soundstage. :(

Im also into anything morbid / historical. If they're digging up old bones, I'm hooked. Pompeii, Black Plague, Donnelly Massacre.... you name it.

There was a great series from the UK called History Cold Case, where they bring in modern forensics for historical remains discoveries. They only made like 6 episodes and I wish there were more.

There are 456 Episodes in all, Get some snacks and binge away