Dixon Dallas

Mus979

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
First, kind of late to the discussion, since Jake’s tour already ended that means the Dixon Dallas character is now just a low maintenance revenue stream for Jake.

Second, Jake wasn’t bringing “positive attention to a gay country singer”. He created a parody country character on TikTok using gay sex as a punchline. When it went viral then he wrote a few more songs using the same low hanging fruit and added the character to Jake Hill’s tour.

Third, we do know JAKE HILL’S sexuality. He’s straight. Interviews where he says things like “I don’t talk about my sexuality” are given by the character of DIXON DALLAS. It’s literally part of the performance. The absurdity of the character not talking about their sexuality when their songs are all about gay sex is part of the joke. The Jake Hill fans always knew it was a joke. It’s not the first time he’s done it. It’s just the most financially successful.

Don’t get me wrong. The joke started as funny but it became mercenary when he exploited it the way he did. If he had only done it once as a joke then ok. If he had taken some of that lgbt+, homophobe, and frat boy money that he made off the joke and used it in someway to help then I would be championing him.

As for the gay country artist trying to make it, that you’ve never heard of, there are plenty but their music is sincere not a gay joke. They don’t receive the same attention as a pop punk singer who created a gay parody. The same venues who booked Jake aren’t going to book them because they don’t book gay artists.

If you have genuine interest then I can share some of the ones I follow.

Finally, to be clear, I’m not angry or offended by Jake Hill. I’m just slightly annoyed people can’t see Dixon Dallas for the borderline homophobic parody that it is and even more annoyed at myself for singing along.
I felt more offended with the urpretty songs bc of what you mentioned. Those felt like blatant comedy/shock value songs even more than Dixon Dallas bc of how explicit and over the top they were, “fuck me in my booty till I pass out… put it in my butt… etc”. Urpretty lyrics feel like the way people used to perceive and mock gay sex when I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL so yeah the lyrics felt childish to be frank. Dixon Dallas is in a very similar vein obviously it’s the same person. I wanna give benefit of the doubt in case he is actually queer/curious or questioning but yeah bc he’s done this before with urpretty I feel inclined to say it is all just a gag…

xanthis2001

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I felt more offended with the urpretty songs bc of what you mentioned. Those felt like blatant comedy/shock value songs even more than Dixon Dallas bc of how explicit and over the top they were, “fuck me in my booty till I pass out… put it in my butt… etc”. Urpretty lyrics feel like the way people used to perceive and mock gay sex when I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL so yeah the lyrics felt childish to be frank. Dixon Dallas is in a very similar vein obviously it’s the same person. I wanna give benefit of the doubt in case he is actually queer/curious or questioning but yeah bc he’s done this before with urpretty I feel inclined to say it is all just a gag…

Exactly. People were all on the Dixon Dallas train but it’s literally just the same gay jokes reskinned for different musical genres. This one just became very profitable. This Dixon character he’s created might even make another appearance next spring when Jake wants to tour again. If not I suspect he’ll create another character to do the same grift.

Sturbanger

Sexy Member
Media
Do I have to explain how gays policing gays for being too outrageous is problematic or...

I do think Jake Hill is probably straight, but even if he's bi, coming out should not be a requirement for someone to make gay media. But moreover, plenty of gays talk like that and are raunchy and love his music.

Writing and playing characters that are not representative of the actor is...normal. It's an extreme example, but no one thinks George R.R. Martin cannot write Arya. Gays are famous for drag, and yes, people call drag out for being problematic all the time. There's legislation about it. Other gays call it out too. A lot of gay-adjacent culture is called out for being too horny or inappropriate.

When you feel offended by something, you should consider where the harm is, and also whether or not it actually represents something real, even if its something real you are not apart of or do not approve of. Like, the reason why racial, or sexual and gender minority casting for film is such a hot topic is because there is an existing bias against those actors which manifests as being disproportionately undercast. It is a similar logic to affirmative action, where we do not recognize that X% of such students necessarily are currently the best applicants, but we do recognize there are societal and systemic influences that bias both their ability to find opportunities and our ability to properly judge them and we apply pressure to give them those opportunities, understanding that only giving the best positions to the people who have historically benefitted leads to a cycle of single class advantage. And also that there is value in diversity of experiences and ideas in an environment

And of course there's authors/actors who create/embody characters with insufficient information or actual personal bias, and these things can stem from not actually being similar to the character depicted. But quite obviously, there are people who CAN pull these things off, and even the most successful depictions can be controversial, especially if the character in question is a controversial thing in real life. I don't think he shows the same dismissive ignorance as, say, a JKR, nor the active malicious diminishing of a Minstrel show.

He writes his own music as well. It's not like he's being 'cast' and stealing from someone else.

If there's a real harmful element to it, it's that there's existing harmful attitudes about gay sexuality and a gay person saying the same stuff would also incite hateful response.

Like he might do something stupid later down the line, but I haven't heard any criticism that wouldn't apply to either: ANY cis male drag queen, any gay person who says raunchy stuff, or even to an actor who plays a murderer.

Gays always have a problem of holding themselves and their culture to a higher standard and wanting to make nice and be approachable and I don't really see any criticism that doesn't play into that respectability politics, or otherwise wouldn't have significant negative consequences if actually applied evenly throughout society (ie; this is where we get people mad about changing existing characters like spiderman or Ariel into minorities. The idea that social demographics are intrinsic to the way a character would behave in a situation and only a person of the right characteristics could depict it, or the idea that Stan Lee had where a character who is a minority should in some way directly be built around celebrating that aspect of themselves instead of it being just...an independent attribute a human can have that CAN be a major part of their background but perhaps not).

Like...is it necessarily fair if Jake Hill's raunchy gay songs are more popular than Willam's or Rob Anderson's? who knows. I don't think they'd be more popular if Jake Hill didn't exist. I'd also argue they actually kind of play into negative stereotypes more and they're still fun and good regardless (and Rob actually has some good commentary on exactly that subject, whether you agree with it or not, he has put thought into his use of stereotype as a comedian). He does have some nonhorny songs under gay personas, sure, but if you tell me you think gay romance is fundamentally different with zero intersection with other romances and you can't possibly imagine a straight person writing a decent gay love/breakup song (or even just a pronouns change cover), then, well, I'm gonna give up there.

...Anyways this is supposed to be a horny thread.

ZzTop8910

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do I have to explain how gays policing gays for being too outrageous is problematic or...

I do think Jake Hill is probably straight, but even if he's bi, coming out should not be a requirement for someone to make gay media. But moreover, plenty of gays talk like that and are raunchy and love his music.

Writing and playing characters that are not representative of the actor is...normal. It's an extreme example, but no one thinks George R.R. Martin cannot write Arya. Gays are famous for drag, and yes, people call drag out for being problematic all the time. There's legislation about it. Other gays call it out too. A lot of gay-adjacent culture is called out for being too horny or inappropriate.

When you feel offended by something, you should consider where the harm is, and also whether or not it actually represents something real, even if its something real you are not apart of or do not approve of. Like, the reason why racial, or sexual and gender minority casting for film is such a hot topic is because there is an existing bias against those actors which manifests as being disproportionately undercast. It is a similar logic to affirmative action, where we do not recognize that X% of such students necessarily are currently the best applicants, but we do recognize there are societal and systemic influences that bias both their ability to find opportunities and our ability to properly judge them and we apply pressure to give them those opportunities, understanding that only giving the best positions to the people who have historically benefitted leads to a cycle of single class advantage. And also that there is value in diversity of experiences and ideas in an environment

And of course there's authors/actors who create/embody characters with insufficient information or actual personal bias, and these things can stem from not actually being similar to the character depicted. But quite obviously, there are people who CAN pull these things off, and even the most successful depictions can be controversial, especially if the character in question is a controversial thing in real life. I don't think he shows the same dismissive ignorance as, say, a JKR, nor the active malicious diminishing of a Minstrel show.

He writes his own music as well. It's not like he's being 'cast' and stealing from someone else.

If there's a real harmful element to it, it's that there's existing harmful attitudes about gay sexuality and a gay person saying the same stuff would also incite hateful response.

Like he might do something stupid later down the line, but I haven't heard any criticism that wouldn't apply to either: ANY cis male drag queen, any gay person who says raunchy stuff, or even to an actor who plays a murderer.

Gays always have a problem of holding themselves and their culture to a higher standard and wanting to make nice and be approachable and I don't really see any criticism that doesn't play into that respectability politics, or otherwise wouldn't have significant negative consequences if actually applied evenly throughout society (ie; this is where we get people mad about changing existing characters like spiderman or Ariel into minorities. The idea that social demographics are intrinsic to the way a character would behave in a situation and only a person of the right characteristics could depict it, or the idea that Stan Lee had where a character who is a minority should in some way directly be built around celebrating that aspect of themselves instead of it being just...an independent attribute a human can have that CAN be a major part of their background but perhaps not).

Like...is it necessarily fair if Jake Hill's raunchy gay songs are more popular than Willam's or Rob Anderson's? who knows. I don't think they'd be more popular if Jake Hill didn't exist. I'd also argue they actually kind of play into negative stereotypes more and they're still fun and good regardless (and Rob actually has some good commentary on exactly that subject, whether you agree with it or not, he has put thought into his use of stereotype as a comedian). He does have some nonhorny songs under gay personas, sure, but if you tell me you think gay romance is fundamentally different with zero intersection with other romances and you can't possibly imagine a straight person writing a decent gay love/breakup song (or even just a pronouns change cover), then, well, I'm gonna give up there.

Ain't nobody reading all that...

Mus979

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I think urpretty and Dixon Dallas songs are all bops and on my most listened to list for the past couple months, so I DO enjoy them and don’t think they’re inherently bad. I’m just questioning the intent behind them, on they’re own I don’t think they’re harmful but if the intent was to mock/do it for shits and giggles as a straight guy just for clicks then yeah in that context I find it more offensive. That’s all I have to say. It’s hard to really say what the intent is rn bc the artist hasn’t done a serious statement/answer to all the people claiming he is queerbaiting. He could very well be queer tho so yeah it’s hard to say.

dice4060

Experimental Member
Media
Reactions: Romieron35

skeldare

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wrong dude. Obviously not even close to resembling one another. Delete this crap
The context to the original post was that the title of the thread was Dallas Dixon instead of Dixon Dallas, which confused some people. It was corrected later.

OshiriHime

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

UniFanInFL

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Couple of notes:
-He isnt taking anything away from queer people nor is he disparaging us.
-Nothing is stopping an openly queer person with talent from writing and performing music.
-The amount of judgement and mislaid aggression being put towards this man is ridiculous.

He is really hot though, IJS

StevenM

Legendary Member
Media
Couple of notes:
-He isnt taking anything away from queer people nor is he disparaging us.
-Nothing is stopping an openly queer person with talent from writing and performing music.
-The amount of judgement and mislaid aggression being put towards this man is ridiculous.

He is really hot though, IJS
Agree on all points, especially the last one,