Armie hammer!

Screamie

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think I read a different book than you.
I thought the book was fairly straightforward in its depiction of the relationship’s toxicity. Healthy relationships don’t include making out while defecating on the toilet.

The book depicts the relationship of a charming but manipulative and toxic narcissistic adult and a precocious youth eager but not quite ready for adulthood. CMBYN was originally intended to be written with Oliver as a woman. However, I suspect similarities between that plot and existing fiction, namely Bernard Schlink’s The Reader (adapted into the Kate Winslet Oscar winner) encouraged the author (who identifies as straight) to switch the gender.

The fundamental theme of CMBYN is evident in the title. Elio views “calling me by your name” as a transfiguration of souls or some such borderline personality bullshit. Oliver, a toxic narcissist, merely likes to call out his own name during sex.

Reactions: Lehehe and Mattt33

chasealex

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting. I actually see Elio holding more narcissistic traits than Oliver. Elio is in the prime of his sexual awakening and he is obsessed with the exploration…anyone who gave him attention, he was ready to sleep with. He even harkens back to prior summer residents who he alleges were trying to sleep with him.

Oliver on the other hand seemed to be a bit more reserved and clear on what was happening. He realized a summer fling with the son of his academic advisor would be problematic in the 80s. He had a serious relationship back in the states and he cautioned Elio multiple times that the idea of them sleeping together was problematic. While, Elio was ready to add Oliver to his roster.

Reactions: Lehehe and Mattt33

WDVINCO

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I thought the book was fairly straightforward in its depiction of the relationship’s toxicity. Healthy relationships don’t include making out while defecating on the toilet.
Very upset they didn't include that in the film. It would've been a great send off for his career before... ya know

• Haha
Reactions: Screamie