Actor tommy martinez

BIueOcean4

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The show finally acknowledged that he is queer again, after nearly two years.
The show has always acknowledged he’s queer…it’s just been a while since he’s hooked up with a male (although he wasn’t really hooking up with anyone since the dad storyline)

Shadowball

Legendary Member
Media
The show has always acknowledged he’s queer…it’s just been a while since he’s hooked up with a male (although he wasn’t really hooking up with anyone since the dad storyline)
The show did not reference his being queer once in season four or in any season five episode prior to last night. Not a single reference.

I believe that the show made one reference to him being queer in season three, when his dad found out he had gotten a girl pregnant and said, "See, I told you that 'bi' thing was a phase!" and that was literally the only reference in more then two seasons.

It's not just about him dating women or men. He dated Callie seriously twice during seasons one and two and the show kept portraying him as bi. it's about him saying that he is bi, about him going to queer events, having a queer community, saying male characters are attractive to him, etc. There's a fight between him and Isabella in season four right before they start dating. Isabella is talking about any theoretical future partners that Gael might have that might come into their baby's life. She refers to this person very specifically as a step-mother with no comment from Gael or anyone else.

Something changed between season two and three and they absolutely erased Gael's bisexuality for those two seasons. Hopefully this is a sign they have made changes behind the scenes and not a one-time thing.

Reactions: Balljunkie

BIueOcean4

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The show did not reference his being queer once in season four or in any season five episode prior to last night. Not a single reference.

I believe that the show made one reference to him being queer in season three, when his dad found out he had gotten a girl pregnant and said, "See, I told you that 'bi' thing was a phase!" and that was literally the only reference in more then two seasons.

It's not just about him dating women or men. He dated Callie seriously twice during seasons one and two and the show kept portraying him as bi. it's about him saying that he is bi, about him going to queer events, having a queer community, saying male characters are attractive to him, etc. There's a fight between him and Isabella in season four right before they start dating. Isabella is talking about any theoretical future partners that Gael might have that might come into their baby's life. She refers to this person very specifically as a step-mother with no comment from Gael or anyone else.

Something changed between season two and three and they absolutely erased Gael's bisexuality for those two seasons. Hopefully this is a sign they have made changes behind the scenes and not a one-time thing.
No show is perfect, but I disagree his queerness was “absolutely erased” for a while. His whole personality/identity isn’t tied to whether he’s with a male or female. They just chose to explore his identity as an artist and a father for a while.

Shadowball

Legendary Member
Media
No show is perfect, but I disagree his queerness was “absolutely erased” for a while. His whole personality/identity isn’t tied to whether he’s with a male or female. They just chose to explore his identity as an artist and a father for a while.
I mean again the only one who is talking about whether he was with a man or not is you. There are other aspects of his queerness, and in the show's first two seasons, they did a good job of showcasing those, including during times when he was with Callie.

I listed several things in my first post. I am also now remembering how they dealt with him relating to Jasmine and his coming out to his family. Had nothing to do with him being with a man. (Although, to be clear, the fact that he's the only mlm character of any consequence on the show, so the only time we get to see men being romantic on screen is when Gael is with a man, that is a seperate problem.)

Reactions: Balljunkie

BIueOcean4

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I mean again the only one who is talking about whether he was with a man or not is you. There are other aspects of his queerness, and in the show's first two seasons, they did a good job of showcasing those, including during times when he was with Callie.

I listed several things in my first post. I am also now remembering how they dealt with him relating to Jasmine and his coming out to his family. Had nothing to do with him being with a man. (Although, to be clear, the fact that he's the only mlm character of any consequence on the show, so the only time we get to see men being romantic on screen is when Gael is with a man, that is a seperate problem.)
I mean you can just watch another show if you have issues with it…. It just seems to me that if his character had been with guys most of the time and didn’t acknowledge his attraction to women for a period of time it wouldn’t be an issue. You only talk about the show acknowledging he’s queer only when he’s hooking up with guys. Even if his character doesn’t talk about or hook up with guys it doesn’t mean it’s bi erasure from the writers. Same with Malika’s character.

bassettbussy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

Again with this argument? You and your biphobia are the problem, there are issues with the writing for his character (like the writers not knowing what to do with him and giving him boring storylines) but his bisexuality isn't one of them. Gael's one of the few bi male characters I've seen that doesn't fall into any negative stereotypes or clichés, and I say this as someone who's also a bi latino like him.

Reactions: _nobeast

SpencerUniverse

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gael's story is not good bisexual portrayal. He only ever has meaningful, lasting relationships with women. Lol His storylines with men are always short, or only hookups. It's basically saying he's bisexual but will only settle down with a woman. It's horrible and the reason I quit the show after he fell in love with Isabella. Bet after this random hookup, they'll ahve him back with his baby mama or bring in another woman for him because they're cowards.

Reactions: thunderrafa

Shadowball

Legendary Member
Media
Again with this argument? You and your biphobia are the problem, there are issues with the writing for his character (like the writers not knowing what to do with him and giving him boring storylines) but his bisexuality isn't one of them. Gael's one of the few bi male characters I've seen that doesn't fall into any negative stereotypes or clichés, and I say this as someone who's also a bi latino like him.
Completely bizarre to be called a biphobe for pointing out the obvious biphobia and homophobia has gone into the writing for the past couple of years.

bassettbussy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Completely bizarre to be called a biphobe for pointing out the obvious biphobia and homophobia has gone into the writing for the past couple of years.
Is it? Is it bizarre? I have literally pointed out to you how the show's acknowledged his bisexuality during that time you say they erased it, yet you're still going on about how bad the representation is just because he was with Callie/Isabella and had a kid. Have you considered that maybe I, a bisexual, am calling you biphobic because you're being biphobic just like all the gays and lesbians who are never satisfied with bi rep unless the character's main relationship is with the same sex and they end up with the same sex? Because that's exactly how you're coming across.

The show has queer writers and 2 of the main actresses are bi, they have shown Gael's relationships with men before and also explored Jude's sexuality whenever he made appearances, it's ridiculous of you to claim they're homophobic just because there's not a main gay character and even more ridiculous to suggest Gael's bad representation because he's had storylines with women. And by ridiculous I mean biphobic.

Reactions: Nowyoudont90

bassettbussy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Gael's story is not good bisexual portrayal. He only ever has meaningful, lasting relationships with women. Lol His storylines with men are always short, or only hookups. It's basically saying he's bisexual but will only settle down with a woman. It's horrible and the reason I quit the show after he fell in love with Isabella. Bet after this random hookup, they'll ahve him back with his baby mama or bring in another woman for him because they're cowards.
A lot of bi men IRL have more lasting relationships with women and most bisexuals of any gender tend to end up in male/female relationships for a variety of reasons. You don't seem to understand how bisexuality works, we're not always equally attracted to all genders. Some bi people have a preference for men/masculinity, some for women/femininity and some have no preference at all. Not to mention romantic and sexual attraction are two different things. I'm sexually attracted to men and women but I rarely experience romantic attraction towards women, so all my lasting relationships have been with men. That doesn't make me a bad bisexual, there's not one way to be bi.

Shadowball

Legendary Member
Media
Is it? Is it bizarre? I have literally pointed out to you how the show's acknowledged his bisexuality during that time you say they erased it, yet you're still going on about how bad the representation is just because he was with Callie/Isabella and had a kid. Have you considered that maybe I, a bisexual, am calling you biphobic because you're being biphobic just like all the gays and lesbians who are never satisfied with bi rep unless the character's main relationship is with the same sex and they end up with the same sex? Because that's exactly how you're coming across.

The show has queer writers and 2 of the main actresses are bi, they have shown Gael's relationships with men before and also explored Jude's sexuality whenever he made appearances, it's ridiculous of you to claim they're homophobic just because there's not a main gay character and even more ridiculous to suggest Gael's bad representation because he's had storylines with women. And by ridiculous I mean biphobic.
So you have never pointed out how the show has acknowledged his bisexuality during the time I say he erased it. You have never pointed out how the acknowledged him being bisexual at all during season four. Because they didn't, they didn't mention it once, and you can't prove otherwise because I am right about that. You can argue that it's not bad rep. to go a full year - twenty-ish episodes - without acknowleging it, but you can't argue that the acknowledged it because they didn't.

And I am being generous here by only mentioning it season four, given that (once again) the only reference to him being bi in season three was his dad literally saying "Thank god your bisexual phase is over" with Gael not bothering to correct him. If you think one insulting reference in two years is acceptable bi rep., if that is the kind of crumbs that you are willing to accpet, then that's on you, but stop lying about what is actually happening on screen.

Now, I've said a million times that I'm not mad that he was with women LOL. I've repeatedly referenced the times in seasons one and two where he was with Callie and the show did a good job of still feeling inclusive. The change between season two and three in how they portrayed Gael and his bisexuality is DISTINCT and his being with two women in a row has very little to do with that. The complete erasue of any reference to him being bisexual in season three and the near-complete erasure in season three is absolutely biphpobic and no amount of you being snide is going to change that.

Also, in terms of the show's homophobia, the inclusion of lots of wlw in front of and behind the scenes does not mean we can't analyze how thes how treats or does not treat mlm. And the show has done a bad job on that point:

~ Every gay man on the show who has not been Jude or Jude's love interest has been a complete monster. Both of Gael's boyfriends were awful, revealed to be absolute monsters to make Callie look better. This new songwriter character is Davia's storyline is awful. The other gay recurring character who had any impact lately was the defendant in Callie's case in season three, who killed his boyfriend, and whose sexuality was used by the show as a tawdry SHOCK moment out of some ancient Law & Order playbook. I think Callie maybe had a gay co-worker at legal aid? But she worked there for seven seconds and that character had no impact. And the idea that so few gay men cross their lives living in downtown LA is, by the way, insane.
~ The decision in season four to have an existing woman character discover her bisexuality while inserting two more straight men into the Coterie clearly shows that mlm rep. is not of interest to the show or its producers.
~ Listen, we love Jude, Jude is great, and Carter is also pretty cool even though I don't think much of the show's decision to hook three of the Adams-Foster kids up with siblings long term, that is Weirdo Behavior on the part of the writers. Carter is about to be Jude's boyfriend AND his brother-in-law TWICE. Weird. But one guest star appearence a season maybe does not make up for not having consistant onscreen gay rep.
~ So completely devoid of ANY gay male rep., we must look to Gael as our only mlm rep., and again the show went two years making sure no new viewers would even know he was bisexual.