Stay Off Subject Thread

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Even in the most basic setups accidents occur.

Regardless of the particular engineering hurdles, I sometimes ponder about the cans and shoulds. Just because we can doesn't always mean we should. (And even if we should, the methodology is always best questioned.)

Making genetically modified organisms is fully under way. (Obviously, we surely can.) Making alterations that are favorable to long-term health seems noteworthy. Unfortunately most GMOs are simply modifying the organism to be resistant to specific herbicides, which in effect churns the powers of capitalism more than generate better health.

At any given moment there are (roughly) between 7,000 and 9,000 planes in flight. The Wright brothers should surely be proud! Flight has revolutionized trave (and war). Unfortunately, unlike automobiles, planes do not use unleaded gas, so these thousands of daily flights are raining lead upon us.

Currently science is standing on the threshold of reinventing extinct species. Now that we nearly can, I wonder if we should. These replicants will not be duplicates of lost creatures. There will be significant missing DNA that will be filled in by other species. It might be a close proximity, but it won't be the same. More importantly this scientific endeavor trivializes past occurrences and magnifies mankind as superior.

And the list goes on and on.
Ever see the series Land Of The Giants? We already have small humans, we could probably end up breeding smaller, smaller.......

Space travel, exploration would be much, much cheaper. When arriving at a suitable planet...then science it back up again. There is nothing new in these ideas. I honestly do not believe as a species we will develop travel to expand as depicted in science fiction in a physical sense. It will be beyond reach of the everyday citizen, even though the everyday citizen has been contributing to space travel from day 1.

Yes, all those planes you mention, the only thing which has changed is modification of thrust, which was invented 80 years ago during WW2, along with low orbit rockets and guidance systems...even remote control, radar, sonar. Same as communications, undersea cables 1850, Satellite started the year I was born 1958.....not much has changed has it? It can all disappear overnight, is that fragile.

I've been here, like many others through the beginnings of space travel, to the internet, quantum discoveries, dark matter-energy.... the only thing that has grown is multinationals and snake oil salespeople's wallets through the assistance of tax havens, R&D tax deductions, government tax payer funded grants and contracts.

Anyway, as I have explained, this is a Stay Off Subject Thread. If you wish to continue conversation....start another thread, I'll be more than happy to converse there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillM and dr_bates

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This is what the British left us with in Australia. Deserted us in WW2, tested their Nuclear weapons here, then fucked off leaving us to clean up their shit.

Now return 60 years later, begging us to trade with them. Bugger off, you and your King, siblings and kids.

Reactions: dr_bates