Not sure what's going on with him

Yamim

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey all, first time posting a topic and it's more a request for opinion and potentially advice.

So, ever since mid-January I've become more chatty with a coworker, I think it's safe to say that we're friends these days. He was going through a romantic rough patch, I noticed that something was up and asked if he needed to talk. We've been out a couple of times as friends since then, and we message quite a bit too. When we're out together, we barely stop chatting to pause for breath, and we talk about just about everything. He's always been the one to suggest going out. He's doing a lot better these days, so I'm glad that I helped in some way.

The thing is that almost everyone in work thinks that he's bi (for clarification, I'm gay). I'm not so sure personally as he's always talking about wanting a girlfriend, although he has said some things that make me wonder. He's told me about two previous times where he's kissed a guy (while drunk), and he told me that he visited a gay strip club while on holiday back in early February (didn't tell me a lot about the holiday, but that was the first thing about it that he told me).

Whenever I've mentioned guys that I'm interested in, he tells me not to bother with them for various reasons that he comes up (some are actually quite funny). I recently went for a coffee with a guy who used to work at the same place we do, my friend had previously suggested that this guy was just being polite with me but messaged a couple of hours before the coffee to wish me luck. Turned out that the guy is in a long distance relationship and there wasn't much chemistry, so that was that. I told my friend about it, he questioned whether the relationship was 'an excuse', that I didn't need a guy with excuses in my life, and that he'd lost himself a 'good soul' (referring to me).

I've noticed recently that he's not messaging as much (although I think it's more being busy than anything else, as he does get back to me). Yesterday I had one of those wonderful Grindr experiences of good conversation that leads to agreeing to meet, then being stood up and blocked. My friend messaged me about something, I mentioned what had happened, his response was "does he have a Facebook so I can stalk him", and there was some swearing too.

Is he just being a bit protective, or am I being oblivious to something? There was one time that he joked about how our messages aren't as spicy as the pick-up lines that I must get on Grindr, so I told him about some of the more blunt experiences that you can have on there. His response was that those sorts of responses would turn him off, that most guys (not us) either have the personality of a fist or a fuck, and that it's better to like men and women because you get better conversation with a woman.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
~ mid-January coworker+I became friends. When we're out together we talk about everything. Re: Grindr: his take: Most guys have the personality of a fist or a fuck and he'd get better conversation with a woman.
You are his friend and confidant. Don't waste time speculating about him here. Put your questions to him in order to find out about him.

wtfalice

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Seriously…so many threads where girlies are trying to convert straight (or not) men like they are on a mission. I think we collectively stop paying attention to these men until they come out. Life is hard as it is.

8Cylinder

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have a different take from the poster above. If you wait until a bi person (if he is, sounds more gay to me) comes out, you may be waiting until death do us part. Most bi men are somewhat discreet, but this guy has stormed you with an array of hints that you are ignoring as you do not want to lose a friend or offend him.

He's asked you actively about more saucy details, told you he went to a gay strip club, talking about wanting a girlfriend, kissed a guy "while drunk", and was very chatty with you on several occasions, and finally defending you against other men. He wants you to confirm you want him... this is clear.

Why did he stop messaging as often? Because you have not responded to all his efforts. If you don't, he'll just move on, as all of us would. Look, he knows you're gay, and came at you with full attention. He's nervous that you're not attracted to him, or to lose the chance with you.

Don't make it weird, and don't ask him questions about his sexuality. Tell him about the frustration you have with guys not showing, and invite him out again, this time to something a little more intimate. If he jumps in right away, while out ask him jokingly if he wants to get drunk and make out, with a big smile or little laugh. If he doesn't respond, suggest he take you to the gay strip club he went to, as you're very curious.

JD_002

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yep, the guy I liked and always suspected was bi, came out after some years, by that time I couldn't care less not to mention, how bad he made me feel in the past, he lost his chance not me.

Yamim

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, I'm not trying to convert him. It's just that I'm not used to a straight guy being like that around me, so I just wanted to see what other people might think about it.

Anyway, just to give an update...

He was recently down about a few things, so I got him a couple of gifts related to his interests (nothing expensive, just thoughtful), as well as a card in which I wrote something nice. His response was to suggest that we go on a trip together, so in a couple of months the two of us are going away for a week. He's already planned out everywhere that we're going lol.

snapstik

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
If the week away is a chance for him to screw up his courage to test the waters for something more with you, maybe suggest to him a weekend getaway sometime even sooner first?

I mention this because (and I hope this doesn't happen), but unless you've talked this out, you have to be prepared for the possibility of him meeting someone on your week-long trip that he wants spend the night with. You two potentially not hooking up on the trip is one thing, but if he hooks up with someone else, even for just one night, how will that make you feel? He really may only be looking to want you as a good friend... so if the third-person scenario is a potential trip wrecker for you... maybe you two need to have a more open talk before you go/before the money is spent?

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best for you and will look forward to your post-trip report!

Yamim

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If the week away is a chance for him to screw up his courage to test the waters for something more with you, maybe suggest to him a weekend getaway sometime even sooner first?

I mention this because (and I hope this doesn't happen), but unless you've talked this out, you have to be prepared for the possibility of him meeting someone on your week-long trip that he wants spend the night with. You two potentially not hooking up on the trip is one thing, but if he hooks up with someone else, even for just one night, how will that make you feel? He really may only be looking to want you as a good friend... so if the third-person scenario is a potential trip wrecker for you... maybe you two need to have a more open talk before you go/before the money is spent?

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best for you and will look forward to your post-trip report!
A weekend away before then wouldn't really be feasible, due to his work schedule and various big expenses that he's got coming up. So the week is the earliest that we're both available.

I would be surprised if he did meet someone on the trip, primarily because we went for a night out a couple of weeks ago (got home around 4am). We ran into another colleague who tried to convince him to hook up with "any woman", and he refused because "hook ups aren't his thing". Plus, when I'd told him the results of that coffee with the former co-worker, he told me that he was proud of me for messaging the guy and going, because he "couldn't have done that".

If he is genuinely just seeing me as a good friend, then that's absolutely fine. A different friend of mine has suggested that his attention might be a case of him not having many friends, so he might be concerned that if I find someone first, then he'd potentially lose the attention that he gets from me. However, that friend also found the holiday request to be a rather confusing reaction when compared to what had produced it.

We'll see how things go. When sorting out accommodation, he asked if we could have two beds in each place because he likes to "stretch out and melt", and he also wanted us to find as many places as possible with a private hot tub. Whatever happens, I shall report back lol.