Charles Melton (riverdale)

gr8tu

Worshipped Member
Media
-He should now really be on the hunt for his first Oscar nomination. I look forward to seeing him in future roles.
I'd really like to see him continue the serious actor route but I doubt that's gonna happen now without the nomination. By any luck he gets to be a leading man in something... Or gets to co-star in a big franchise.

lh0711

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Gosling's exceptional in Barbie.
Right? I feel bad for Margot, but it was practically HIS film.
Comedy acting is also really difficult and notoriously underappreciated with the likes of the academy, so it's actually great to see him get a nomination.

armpitenjoyer

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
#charles melton from joenate
#charles melton from joenate
idk what it is specifically but these two gifs get me so hard. someone help

Selizam2

Legendary Member
Media
I'd really like to see him continue the serious actor route but I doubt that's gonna happen now without the nomination. By any luck he gets to be a leading man in something... Or gets to co-star in a big franchise.

I feel like the Riverdale to prestige film storyline only worked when the Oscar nom was in the conversation. Gonna be honest... his performance in May December was a wee bit overhyped so I agree he should have probably tried signing a deal for any lead role or a superhero movie where he can put the abs to use during his month long hype cycle.

Reactions: gr8tu and Jlance13

Jlance13

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I feel like the Riverdale to prestige film storyline only worked when the Oscar nom was in the conversation. Gonna be honest... his performance in May December was a wee bit overhyped so I agree he should have probably tried signing a deal for any lead role or a superhero movie where he can put the abs to use during his month long hype cycle.
He’s in quite possibly the least saturated part of the acting market though. There are only like 5 Asian leading men with mainstream crossover appeal/recognition, and he’s one of them. Less than 5 if we’re talking under 35yo.
I feel like he’ll be doing more quality features going forward as a result of the exposure he got from the film. Maybe not studio level but at least Noah centineo level. The face already more than sells him, and now that people know he can genuinely act, the powers that be will be more than interested because of the current push for diversity. If he was white I’d say it might be over, however this may just be his time....at the very least he could do a quality apple/hbo level series.

Shadowball

Legendary Member
Media
He’s in quite possibly the least saturated part of the acting market though. There are only like 5 Asian leading men with mainstream crossover appeal/recognition, and he’s one of them. Less than 5 if we’re talking under 35yo.
I feel like he’ll be doing more quality features going forward as a result of the exposure he got from the film. Maybe not studio level but at least Noah centineo level. The face already more than sells him, and now that people know he can genuinely act, the powers that be will be more than interested because of the current push for diversity. If he was white I’d say it might be over, however this may just be his time....at the very least he could do a quality apple/hbo level series.
The reason there are only five of these guys is that they write two parts for them every five years.

Reactions: Jlance13 and gr8tu

jkc

Worshipped Member
Media
no denying that but since when do comedic performances get nominations over roles with dramatic range?
Comedic performances have been recognized by the Academy since its inception. Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Peter Sellers, Jack Lemmon, Madeline Kahn, Jack Palance, Marisa Tomei, Johnny Depp, Diane Keaton, Elliot Page, Alan Arkin, Robert Downey Jr., and Melissa McCarthy all received recognition (some even won) for their comedic performances.

Last year's winners for Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Supporting Actress were for comedic performances.

Paul Giamatti, Jeffrey Wright, Emma Stone, Sterling K. Brown, Mark Ruffalo, America Ferrera, and Da'Vine Joy Randolph were all nominated alongside Gosling for their comedic performances this year.

gr8tu

Worshipped Member
Media
Comedic performances have been recognized by the Academy since its inception. Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Peter Sellers, Jack Lemmon, Madeline Kahn, Jack Palance, Marisa Tomei, Johnny Depp, Diane Keaton, Elliot Page, Alan Arkin, Robert Downey Jr., and Melissa McCarthy all received recognition (some even won) for their comedic performances.

Last year's winners for Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Supporting Actress were for comedic performances.

Paul Giamatti, Jeffrey Wright, Emma Stone, Sterling K. Brown, Mark Ruffalo, America Ferrera, and Da'Vine Joy Randolph were all nominated alongside Gosling for their comedic performances this year.
if you think Da'vine or America were nominated for their comedic performances idk what to tell you. There's a difference between actual straight up comedic performances like Ryan's and an actor playing a role in a movie with some humor.

Gosling was great but imo it's the equivalent of Ryan Reynolds getting nominated just bc he had a good comedic performance.

gr8tu

Worshipped Member
Media
He’s in quite possibly the least saturated part of the acting market though. There are only like 5 Asian leading men with mainstream crossover appeal/recognition, and he’s one of them.- If he was white I’d say it might be over-
?? The star of Alladin who played the title character has less acting opportunity today as a POC than Billy Magnuson a white man who basically played the comedic relief. Career trajectory is not the same.

The reason there are only five of these guys is that they write two
parts for them every five years.
right bc if anything he has a lot less opportunity because he's Asian. Most Asian men aren't cast in leading roles in Hollywood films. His best bet is to just apply for every big role regardless of the race requirements. Otherwise he and Henry Golding might have to fight to the death

Reactions: Bryce33

Shadowball

Legendary Member
Media
?? The star of Alladin who played the title character has less acting opportunity today as a POC than Billy Magnuson a white man who basically played the comedic relief. Career trajectory is not the same.

right bc if anything he has a lot less opportunity because he's Asian. Most Asian men aren't cast in leading roles in Hollywood films. His best bet is to just apply for every big role regardless of the race requirements. Otherwise he and Henry Golding might have to fight to the death
If they fight in little shorts with some baby oil I am all for it, but Golding is a great example. After the huge success of Crazy Rich Asians, he got one shot, and it was a G.I. Joe spin-off and when it failed like G.I. Joe movies always do, he gets nothing. Note that the failures of the prior two G.I. Joe movies did not have nearly as much effect on the careers of their starts. They can't even get Crazy Rich Asians sequel off the ground!!

Reactions: Jlance13 and gr8tu

jkc

Worshipped Member
Media
if you think Da'vine or America were nominated for their comedic performances idk what to tell you. There's a difference between actual straight up comedic performances like Ryan's and an actor playing a role in a movie with some humor.

Gosling was great but imo it's the equivalent of Ryan Reynolds getting nominated just bc he had a good comedic performance.
Yeah, I thought Da'Vine was a bit of a stretch, but there's a strong mix of humor and pathos in her performance. I don't think America should have been nominated at all, so I have no urge to defend her presence.

Regardless, you asked since when do comedic performances get nominated over dramatic ones and I gave plenty of examples.

I thought Gosling was brilliant in the film and I'd easily give him the fucking Oscar outright. I do wish Melton were nominated though.

Reactions: gr8tu

Jlance13

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Yes ur right, I retract my previous statement. It came out wrong. I hope he becomes a big movie star, he’s so charming to me. I MUCH prefer him over Ross Butler any day....would love too see him have an upward trajectory like the guy from Barbie.